We’ve all been there. Sitting over a salad, struggling to find a way to start a conversation with something other than: “This is delicious, how’s yours?”.
The very premise of a first date – with its nerves and anticipation – can sometimes thwart even the most competent conversationalist. So, if the chat is lagging, don’t necessarily assume there’s no chemistry.
Instead, use these questions to stimulate conversation.
- What makes you smile in life?
- Who was your first crush?
- How would you spend £10 million?
- What’s the craziest thing you’ve ever done?
- Will you put iTunes on shuffle and show me the first 6 songs?
- What’s the best present you’ve ever given someone?
- Where would you most like to travel to?
- What are your food likes and dislikes?
- What book or movie has made the greatest impression on you?
- How was your day?
We’re not suggesting that you fire these out like an interrogator demanding answers. Hopefully one or two will start off a conversation that then flows naturally.
Remember to listen to the replies, they may come in useful. After all, who’s to say there isn’t a lottery win in your future?
It’s also a good idea to have your own answers ready if the question is turned back to you.
If you are ready to meet someone special, contact the friendly award winning matchmakers at Drawing Down the Moon Matchmaking.